Thursday, September 21, 2006

Accomplishment

Last night, I effectuated an accomplishment--the completion of a project that was 8 years in the making. I have not had my full attention trained on this goal for 8 years, but it has never strayed far from my mind. At times, I would work toward it furiously, throwing caution to the wind. At other times, I would languish in despair, thinking that I could never manage to make it happen. I have tried innumerable strategies; I have cried and screamed and argued; I have declared that I never should have begun such an impossible task, and yet always have I gone back to it, knowing that it would be worth all of the work and trouble.

Yes, folks, for your enjoyment, here is a picture of one of my most treasured accomplishments:

Lest you think that the acquisition of a coffee table (and a small one at that) is some miniscule thing that practically anyone could manage...well, you're probably right. In my household, however, it has been the Battle Royale--our own Wrath of Khan steel-cage death match. For the longest time, I was sure that I was Khan--that I'd been imprisoned on some glacial planet. But now we know--I'm Kirk, dammit. Kirk! [Mock my geekiness if you must. But give me a better example of a karmic battle to use as metaphor here!] In Mr. Fluff's defense, we have an old house with a tiny living room--I understood the concern that an additional piece of furniture would crowd us out. At the same time, it's damn hard to keep putting drinks on the floor. In the summer, glasses (and, ahem, bottles) sweat, leaving rings. In the winter, I don't want to put my arm out of the blanket to reach down to the floor to get a hot cup of cocoa. In the midst of our melee, the compromise position has been to leave old catalogs about and put drinks on them. Charming choice in interior design, I can tell you. Now, however, thanks to my perseverance, we have a dandy piece of furniture, decorated with a lovely array of sari coasters, given to me by Frenchie--4 YEARS AGO. I choose to think that my ability to locate said coasters is the universe rewarding my stubborn nature.

So here, my friends, is proof positive that I can prevail. Raise a glass (or a foot, if you're that kind of coffee-table owner) to me this evening.

And, if you will be so kind, don't ask why I can't apply this same skill to the completion of my article. Just keep it to yourself.

6 Comments:

Blogger Flavia said...

Awesome! And it's lovely, too. Congrats.

I, too, have only recently come into possession of a coffee table, after living without one for 9 long years. For the last 3 of those years I did have a largish vintage suitcase positioned in front of my loveseat, which at least looked rather like a table and brought things some 7 or 8 inches off the ground. I thought this was a pretty clever and even attractive solution. . . but every time I referred to "the coffee table" my friends would say, "the what? you mean, this suitcase-thing?"

So I guess I wasn't fooling anyone.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what a lovely coffee table it is!!! This requires, you know, a celebration where people are actually invited to come into your home and drink beverages that will rest upon those nice coasters....warn Mr. Fluff that his favorite redneck Marxist is hellbent on a pop-in otherwise.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

Fabulous table!

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Thanks for all the support, people! (And Flavia, I would have applauded your suitcase table as interior decorating innovation!) I have to say, it's making life very enjoyable.

I've got my eyes on a new couch to match it...

Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger FrenchieF said...

Kfluff-
You know I felt your pain as you waged war to obtain the coffee table... and I now feel joy at seeing it. Such a good choice in black, too. (Are you singing "pump it up.. joy and pain.. talkin' 'bout sunshine and rain"?)

Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:06:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hey!—that's a MacMall catalog on that coffee table!!!

It certainly does add a certain something to the table's overall ... uh ... presence. A copy of MacWorld on the other pile and you'll be right off the mac-ficionado chart.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 5:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home