Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Aufhebung; or Apparently, I'm It

Well, like the slow fat kid at recess, I've been tagged. Thankfully, Beth is a damn sight more gentle than many of the kids I used to play with. So here it is, the meme of three. I like how Beth thinks of High Fidelity, and I think of Hegel. I'd much rather think of John Cusack, thank you very much!

Three People Who Make Me Laugh
1. Martin Amis (particularly in The Information)
2. Eddie Izzard
3. Mr. Fluff (or Senor Fluff, as he'd now like to be called)

Three Things I Can Do
1. Identify smells from far away (e.g., cucumbers from a two-room distance)
2. Ask "where are my keys?" in Spanish
3. Curse a blue streak

Three Things I Can't Do
1. a handstand
2. write every day
3. speak without irony

Three Things I'm Doing Right Now
1. Drinking my second cup of coffee
2. Resenting going to a meeting later today
3. Enjoying the silence of my neighborhood (elementary school started this week)

Three Things I Want To Do Before I Die
1. Publish one really good book. Just one.
2. Live in New Mexico
3. grow three inches (upward, of course)

Three Things I Hate the Most
1. When people do not say "thank you" (rudeness)
2. When people refuse, despite all evidence, to consider their own privilege (selfishness/blindness)
3. mosquitoes

Three Things that Scare Me
1. tales of the apocalypse (even though I know it's hooey)
2. See #2, above
3. E! News' fascination with Paris Hilton

Three Things I Don't Understand
1. quantum physics
2. the enduring appeal of James Joyce's Ulysses
3. American anti-intellectualism

Three Skills I'd Like to Learn
1. basic home renovation (e.g., wiring, insulation, fixing windows)
2. diplomacy with those you fundamentally disagree with
3. playing guitar

Three Ways to Describe my Personality
1. sarcastic
2. ebullient
3. hot/cold

Three Things I Think You Should Listen To
1. a push-mower cutting grass
2. Nikka Costa
3. Van Morrison's Astral Weeks

Three Things You Should NEVER Listen To
1. someone yelling at you
2. Taylor Dayne (I'm a relentless fan of 80's music, but even I can't stomach this, nostalgia and all)
3. the rat on your shoulder (an old creative writing teacher's metaphor for the hyper-critical voice in your head)

Three Favorite Foods
1. kimchee
2. homemade macaroni and cheese
3. Saba--mackerel sushi

Three Beverages I Drink Regularly
1. water, and gallons of it
2. coffee, and gallons of it
3. Argentinian Malbec...

Three Shows I Watched as a Kid
1. Wall Street Week in Review (an awkward effect of my father's babysitting skills)
2. Hee Haw (again, I'm totally blaming this on my parents)
3. Miami Vice (sick, sad confession: I used to come home EARLY on Friday nights to see this!)

Three Blogs I'm Tagging
1. Lee over at Mostly-Filler, since she's not back at school.
2. Flavia, since she'll need some distraction from her new job.
3. How about New Kid, since she's looking for a meme or two?

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I knew you'd have a great list! Love the "rat on my shoulder" (my biggest problem right now).

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

What is "meme"?

(and thanks for the tag)

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

This is quite the game...I've just been roped in too!

Friday, September 08, 2006 6:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee! Great minds think alike...

Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home