Monday, January 01, 2007

The Dog Ate My Blog

Obviously, I was smoking some good Christmas pine when I thought I'd be back a'bloggin' on the birthday of the Jesus. I had put out of my mind that I would get up at the crack of dawn to the shouting of nephews and niece, ripping into their stockings while my brother-in-law, bleary-eyed, handed me a cup of coffee. By 11 a.m., Senor Fluff and I were on the road, driving the 5 hours from his family's house to mine. You'll all be happy to know that I blurted out only one tiny profane ejaculation the entire time I was there (and only because my pre-teen nephews have entered into the phase where they search the internet for sites like this. WARNING: YOU TOO WILL CUSS LIKE A SAILOR!!).

So no blogging on the 25th. And none on the 26th either, which is when my family decided to open our presents. And none on the 27th, 28th, etc., because we were too busy playing with all of our new toys. Do you remember when you used to get really excited upon receiving the toy of the season--say, the Barbie Dreamhouse or an Atari game system? Meanwhile, your parents were thanking each other for new socks and gift certificates for auto detailing? At some point, my family members have reversed roles, because I was dancing around clutching new gloves, while my mother wandered the house for days stroking her new Nintendo DS and calling it "her precious" in some kind of Gollum-like trance. Which was just freakin' creepy.

By the time we got done with that, our departure was nigh. Senor Fluff and I have some big plans for the rest of our break: our house needs some work (I will return to my deep and abiding relationship with Zinsser 3-in-1 Kill and Seal Primer); syllabi need some writing; the gym, by God, to do penance for the 750,000 calories I've consumed while on vacation. There's no end to it all, really.

Today would be the perfect day for me to record some New Year's Resolutions and to reflect upon the passing of the old year. But there is a Twilight Zone marathon on, and I've got a brand new Sudoku book, so those tasks will have to wait. Rod Serling and the game demon call to me.

Hmmm. Do you think procrastination and punctuality should be on my list of resolutions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

They at least make the list of multisyllabic p-words. What else might be on that list? Pontification, prestidigitation, paleobotany, paraboloid.
Happy New Year!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Cup said...

Welcome, fellow procrastinator here. I've taken it to an art form.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Tam--as you know, I need no help with pontification. The other three (particularly paraboloid--is that a verb? Can one paraboloid? Is that what happens if I don't go to the gym?) I can definitely add to the list!

Beth--perhaps you and I can collaborate on a project!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home