Tuesday, December 05, 2006

One New Class! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Given the count of meetings and meeting times that we've been crunching over the last day or so (although I realize I forgot my godforsaken departmental committee meeting, which happens twice a month. My forgetting of it is probably the truest metric for how much I HATE going to it that I could ever come up with...), I suppose the Quizilla result below shouldn't surprise me (hint: I'm not the Sesame Street character who gets tickled...)

Here's one more count for you, while we're at it: in one of the multiple conversations going on right now about how we calculate time spent in meetings, Dr. Crazy describes the "invisible work" faculty do:"I think another reason why perhaps faculty complain about meetings is because the time spent in them is ultimately pretty "invisible" in terms of things like performance review/prt review" (see her full comment over on Profgrrrrl's post). If meetings are one type of work that goes unacknowledged when it comes time to assess your body of work, let's reveal another one. How many new courses have you designed and taught in your time at your current institution? This is my fourth year. By the end of the spring semester, I will have created 17 new courses. That's just over 4 courses a year for 4 years. That's a whole "boatload" (or insert another choice metaphor here) of research behind each course, not counting the ways in which I've investigated pedagogies that best fit the objectives of each class. In addition, it means a good number of days spent teaching at the edge of my knowledge of a new topic, rather than in the comfortable seat of my expertise. Exciting and exhausting, simultaneously. As far as I know, there is no tenure-file document that requests that information, nor one that takes into account the ways that this might affect teaching evaluations.

One new class, ahhahahahaha! TWO new classes, ahhahahahahaha! [Clearly, it's time for bed...]


Which Sesame Street Muppet's Dark Secret Are You?

The Count's Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. It started with a simple affection for counting and the terror it induced in others, didn't it? But now it's turned into a full-blown life-consuming chaotic nightmare of order, repetition, zealousness, and perfectionism. You used to be so grand, but now you find yourself obsessively worrying over the littlest things--like, maybe if you don't check the light switch at least once every two minutes, the electricity will go out (and damnit, you're a vampire--that shouldn't be a problem!), or maybe if you don't wash your hands until your seams are coming out, you'll get some fatal disease. Get yourself some treatment.
Take this quiz!








Quizilla |
Join

| Make A Quiz | More Quizzes | Grab Code

2 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I'm teaching three different classes here in the corporate world next year -- technical writing, business writing, and grammar. Does that mean I get to play professor with you smart types?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 1:43:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Welcome aboard, Beth!! That's quite a course load. I bet you're great at making grammar interesting and fun. Do you use examples from song lyrics? Will you blog about it?

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home