Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Coffee Grounds and Diet Coke

Does anyone remember that scene from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels where one of the poor terrified teenagers swills coffee grounds with a Diet Coke chaser in order to stay awake? Anyone?

It's very possible that I might follow her example this evening. You know that grading I spent the day doing? Well, for the record, I'm not even procrastinating a lot--very unusual for me!!!--and yet I'm still at it. I have three left. The problem, of course, is that I've also promised class #2 that they can have their evaluations for a project, much overdue, tomorrow. And there are six of those. Did I mention tomorrow is the last day of teaching content? And they should get something out of it?

Tell me this, blogademe, has anyone ever pulled an all-nighter to finish grading? Has anyone ever done it successfully, meaning that they were still conscious and able to function the next day?

And is this the point where I just throw my hands up in the air and say "I'm a loser and I couldn't finish. Put it all in the course evaluations. Thank you sir, may I have another"?

I'm going back to grading now. Bring on the caffeine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I came really close to pulling an all-nighter to grade once (got something like three hours of sleep), and no, I was not remotely coherent enough to teach the next day. In fact, I went to campus, put the papers (or whatever they were) in the box on my office door for students to pick up, came home, sent an e-mail canceling class (and telling them about the papers), and crashed for a few hours. It was an exercise in madness, really. So now I just accept my grading-slackerdom and figure that the students will just have to deal (and ream me in the evals, should they so choose!). Good luck finishing!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Well, I did end up getting about 6 hours, so I was *partially* coherent. I think I got through my first class on adrenaline (giving back failing project grades can do that to you), but the last one sucked for sure. I should have gone home to bed.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home