Thursday, December 07, 2006

I Am Jack's Horrible Case of Adult Senioritis (with apologies to Chuck Palahniuk)

I very clearly remember my last month or so of college, when I didn't know what the hell I was going to do with my life or my bizarre degree*, but the sun was shining and my friends were out on the quad playing music and I couldn't give less of a crap about my senior thesis or my senior project. All I wanted to do was lay on the grass and feel the sunshine and take a nap.

Well, here, it's cold and gray, and I have a slight idea what my bizarre degree (TM) has bought me, but I could still give a crap about all that I have to do between now and going to my parents house for Christmas. If I had just finished up my set of late papers and sent approx. 20,000 emails and written a few recommendations today, I'd have about 8 hours before all hell broke loose and final papers came rolling in tomorrow. Eight precious hours to read Vogue, go to Target and buy a lamp, have breakfast at my favorite spot, pluck my eyebrows...(these may indeed be the adult equivalent of laying on the grass and feeling the sunshine. Sad.)

Instead, I spent 3 hours this morning researching the differences among Course Management Systems. Not for work. Not because I've been appointed to some committee from hell. No, because the tyranny of Blackboard has gotten on my last nerve and I wanted to know what my options are. This, my friends, is adult senioritis at its worst. Does anyone remember picking fights with your friends in your senior year, simply to manufacture drama so that you'd have an excuse not to work? Ummm, me neither. Nope. Not here.

Sigh. There's no helping it now. I'm off to read student work, before the deluge.

But those of you who don't have to teach any more classes? I am Jack's bile-laden kidney. Fie upon thee and thy early-ending semesters.



*I went to one of those "no majors, no grades" institutions, where many people graduated with degrees titled "The Human Condition." Seriously.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Yeah, I get senioritis this time of year. My adult equivalent to laying in the sunshine is making exhaustive lists of everyone I need to get a holiday gift for, donating platelets (which takes hours at a time), and cruising the blogs.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Sheesh, Kate. That's not laying in the sun!! That's doing for others!! Your senioritis takes the form of selfless giving, you darn ethical person!

Friday, December 08, 2006 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home