Monday, January 08, 2007

Chapping My Hide

Two things today, only two, but I can't help recording them.

First. What good is it to go to the bougie grocery store if it doesn't carry what you actually want?!! Here's a sample of what I overheard there this evening: "Do you have any sushi-grade fish?" [For all of you playing the at-home game, let me remind you that I DO NOT live anywhere near the ocean. So the idea that you could get "sushi-grade" fish is a bit ridiculous, if not scary.] Despite this, I think I CAN expect them to have frickin' soba noodles, for crying out loud. They're non-perishable, whole grain, and a staple of any Asian food section (thankfully not called the "Oriental" section as they were in Midwest grad school town). This is highly preferable to 5 different varieties of Chun King Chop Suey in a can. IN A CAN!!!

Second. What is it, in American households, that smells SO BAD that we have an entire industry devoted to interior air fresheners? Candles, liquids, atomizers, infusions, or, as Glade likes to call it, the "fragrance landscape." What on earth is so stinky in our houses that can't be fixed by cleaning, I ask you? And why must there be soooo many commercials addressing this problem?

That's all for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

What chemicals are in those air fresheners anyway? If you want fresh air, by definition you should replace the old air with new air.
And you know for a fact that the chemical cans are not kept separate from the containers of food while stocked in the back of the supermarket. Mmmm, cancer causing molecules. Give me more o' that!

Monday, January 08, 2007 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I found your noodles.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4335160.stm

Monday, January 08, 2007 11:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home