Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bodily Functions

With that title, this post could be all kinds of gnarly, but I'll spare you. It's a beautiful day outside, I only have two more drafts of my grad students' papers to read, and I'm looking forward to seeing a friend later this evening. Yeehaw!

Now, there's certainly no end to the amount of things that I need to do: I owe letters of recommendation to 3 students; multiple short reading responses and group drafts to a class, etc., etc. However, it's also the case that for the next week or so, there should be a lull, thanks to my awesome revelation that I was going to be exhausted and a basket case by the time I got done with article/conference/diss advisor.

So I'm just about the reap the rewards of my stupendous (no irony, for once) planning. For the final two weeks of the semester, two of my classes are workshopping and working on final projects. The third is watching a movie, discussing said movie, and studying for their final exam. All of which is making me feel like I can take a deep breath and start loving the world and everyone in it.

The true sign of this, however, is just at the end of my fingers. For the past two months, I've been biting not just my fingernails down to the quick, but also the skin around my fingernails. Yup, I know: totally gross. Disgusting habit. Makes me prone to illness. I get it, but that's what anxiety and oral fixation equal in my world. Y'all just be happy I never took to smoking.

That being the case, I realized today that I have fingernails. They clack on the keyboard, they get stuff stuck under them, and they scratch my itches quite nicely.

Until earlier today, at which point I was idly scratching my hip and I took off a mole. Can you believe it?!! Just sliced that little bugger right off. It was hanging by a little piece of skin. Once I cleared the blood away, I had to just take a deep breath and pull the rest of it off. Say it with me: "EEEEEEEWWWWWW!"

So there you have it. That's what I get for being semi-relaxed---bodily disfigurement. Does anyone know if a mole removed so inexpertly comes back?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Should I tell you that this was my last class day, or is that just mean?

I scratched a mole off once. It was horrifying, and it did come back.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:27:00 PM  
Blogger Sisyphus said...

Ok, first, a totally random comment: it's beautiful out? Go grade outside!!!! It makes it almost bearable.

Second, to top your ewwww moment, I had to go to the dermatologist last year because I half shaved off a mole on my leg --- it was bleeding and a loose flap. They sliced it right off and bandanged it up for me. They said it would eventually come back, but probably grow slowly.

Friday, April 18, 2008 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Um, Ash? I'm sort of hating you right now. But only for the next two weeks.

Sisyphus---the outside grading never works for me, sadly. I like to punish myself while grading, as an incentive to get it done. :)

apparently, lots of us are amateur dermatologists! Nice!

Friday, April 18, 2008 8:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home