Tuesday, March 25, 2008

One Cheek

That's right, folks, I am officially and self-consciously half-assing everything from now until April 3.

That includes, but is not limited to: class preparation; grading; committee work; the department-wide student extravaganza; negotiations about new curricula; personal hygiene; correspondence; cooking; cleaning the house; laundry; wifely duties; advisee requests, and anything else that should crop up in the next week.

Why? I'll tell you why. Because I'm not designed to teach three classes, revise two articles, and write a conference paper all in the same month. I have no doubt that there are people out there who can do it. I'm sure that it speaks to my fundamental insufficiencies. It probably makes me a bad person who's going to the ring of hell wherein the damned swim in a pool of dog snot for all eternity (at least according to my 8th grade geography teacher's take on The Inferno).

Do my students, my advisees, my colleagues, my friends and family deserve better? Damn skippy. Are they going to get it? Probably, but not in the way that they deserve.

I just thought you all should know.

If you want me, I'll be here listening to "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" on infinite repeat.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sisyphus said...

Ha! I love your title.

You're so cheeky, heh.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:48:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Oh, sister, if only you knew. One of the major drawbacks of this kind of work is precisely how cheeky I'm getting.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

I loved half-assed weeks.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home