Sunday, March 30, 2008

Girl in the Bubble

So, I did it. Finally finally. Two hours ago, I sent off the draft of my article, complete with a short abstract and a bio. We won't mention the morning of trolling the web, looking at the other way of citing secondary sources. What's up with those people, by the way? Why on earth is it so important to put the year?

Anyway. The point of this is that I feel like the dirty, stinking, rotting carcass of an albatross has finally fallen off. After worrying about this article since the New Year, spending two days a week working on it for the last three months, having sweaty, panicked dreams about not finishing it, the mofo has been submitted. Praise Jeebus, hallelujah.

It's not that I don't have another deadline looming (hello, unwritten conference paper to be delivered in 3 days). It's not that I don't owe my students papers that have gone weeks ungraded, or tips about how to take an upcoming exam, or comments on their journals. No, all of that is still there. But the overwhelming relief of having this thing off and gone has overwhelmed my finely-tuned, over-active freak out complex. That's how strong it is! If I knew it felt this good, I would have written articles years ago!!

In my conscious mind, I know that the bubble is paper thin, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. Completion, she is an cruel taskmistress. Cruel, but fair.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sisyphus said...

Yay! Hurrah! Doin' the happy dance!!!

Good luck with everything else, and don't forget to shower and eat before tackling the grading. Or instead of tackling the grading.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Thanks, Big S. I am showered and fed, and now am contemplating grading. And a nap. I hope the happy dance invigorated you as well!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on getting it done!!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Thanks thanks, JM!! Now to bury myself in the student papers I've been putting off...

Monday, March 31, 2008 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Awesome. Now can you please explain to me why the relief & happiness of finishing something is not actually a motivator to get things done in a timely manner? Is it that the relief is proportionate to the amount of time said item has been procrastinated, so that we only get that sweet, sweet euphoria by dragging our feet? Because that's the kind of reinforcement I could do without.

Monday, March 31, 2008 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home