Sunday, March 02, 2008

I've Got Your Oil Crisis Right Here

I know that there are far more important things happening in the world, but this is the one that gets to me on a daily basis: oily hair.

Here's the situation: I need a haircut, and I keep putting itoff because it requires a conversation with the fetus, and making an appointment and going down there, etc., etc. All things I dread. In the meantime, however, my hair is ridiculously long. As in, I just saw the department secretary the other day and she said: "Wow! Your hair got really long!!" Right, thanks. Give me some letterhead.

So the hair is too long, and I'm putting off doing something about that. Meanwhile, the hair is, and has always been, ridiculously thick. Like, perhaps thinning is not such a bad idea. Like, when I was in high school I shaved the back of my head and still had plenty of hair to cover it up (and in many ways, that was one of the best haircuts I ever had, except that it was a bitch to grow out).
But thick hair and overly-long hair means only one thing: way way too much time to dry it in the morning. As in, dryer arm goes numb and shoulder aches, too much time. As in, dryer begins to overheat, too much time. As in, gee, I could either prep my class OR I could dry my hair this
morning.

No problem, right? Just don't wash it every day! Right, except that, well, you remember Exxon-Valdez? Ducks and waterfowl and sea creatures slicked in oil and struggling for life? That's pretty much the state of my scalp after 36 hours. So I've been experimenting with that window, but it's a tricky one. If I shower late in the day before one evening class, I can just about make it through the next evening before the inevitable moment when I run my hands through my hair and leave tracks. The better option here is either to pull it back or enter the wide world of hair accessories, but both seem troubling. A bit like the moment when you cover an enormous zit with concealer, and thus make it even more visible. From space. Look over here!! I'm accessorizing my incredibly greasy head!!

So what I really want to know is this: has anybody tried this stuff?

Hair powder? Really? Am I intrigued just because Bumble and Bumble make it? Is it really some sort of bizarre throwback to Versailles? Next thing you know I'll be wearing a wig and telling people to eat cake?

Thoughts, advice, mockery are all accepted here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Frenchie Foo said...

Did you see the Sofia Coppola take on Marie Antoinette? Makes Versailles and those nasty royals look much cooler, n'est-ce pas?! I say if hair powder can lead to more cake eating, go for it!

Monday, March 03, 2008 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

See it? I'm teaching it at the end of the semester!! I love love it. And if hair powder can make me look more like Kirsten Dunst, then I might go for it.

Monday, March 03, 2008 10:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home