Sunday, March 09, 2008

Combustion upon Re-entry

Thank you, Daylight Saving Time, for making my last, crowded, too-much-to-do, too-little-time day an hour shorter. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

That tone, above? Dripping with sarcasm? That's me all over. I can't imagine why three days in a major metropolitan city, in a swanky hotel, eating cupcakes in the village, far far away from all of my pressing tasks and the psychological clusterfuck that is on the horizon would conspire to make the return home and back to the realities of work such a difficult event. Nope! Just can't figure out why!!

It was lovely to be away, it really and truly was. Even walking 80 city blocks a day was fun, although before I do it again, I really have to figure out a shoe solution. Here I thought clogs were totally going to do it, but not really. What do cool kids wear to walk?

What I realized yesterday, however, was that I was saving up all of these grunt tasks---massive amounts of grading, writing up a major end-of-semester assignment, a few recommendation letters, a few lingering program admin things, my contribution to a grant proposal, doctor's appointments----for break. In addition, while I was working on the dreaded article, I put off all of these tasks as well. So here we are! At the end of break! And my list is long and arduous! Suck!

I can't remember the last time I felt this despondent at the end of a break. Forget rest and renewal. I just want to crawl in bed and sleep. With a few cupcakes.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Me too. I'm especially indignant about the DST/end of break thing. All my midterms to grade, and one hour less to do it in? Bah.

As for late-winter shoes in NYC I say a flattish supportive boot is the way to to go.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Yup, all the cool girls were wearing flat boots, with their skinny jeans tucked into them.

Skinny jeans. What fresh hell is that?!

Sunday, March 09, 2008 9:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home