Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wedding Fashion Question

Since we're talking anniversaries and fashion, I thought I'd post a puzzler from Frenchie, who needs some advice from the internets on what to wear to a wedding. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. Although, I should note, we've always called this guy "Vern" because he's aspiring to be the spitting image of the Trading Spaces designer. You know, this guy:


[Whoa. Just as a sidenote, VY's come a loooong way from Trading Spaces. He's writing books, doing a couple of television shows, designing his own line of housewares. Not bad for a guy whose name always makes me think of Ernest Saves Christmas. Go Vern go! Has anyone noticed an uptick in the number of Asian American interior designers? Danny Seo for one, and that other guy, whose name is escaping me...]

Anyway, here's the question:
Vern is getting married on Aug. 18, and we are going. Again, I have no idea what to wear. I'm thinking my red dress would not be a good idea in case the bride is wearing red. (The invitations are red and gold; reception is being held at a fancy Vietnamese restaurant in Philly; he's Chinese-American, she's Korean-American -- am I stupid for thinking the red dress might be a bad idea? I'm trying to be culturally-sensitive, but maybe I'm just an idiot.)

Advice for Frenchie, anyone? I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous that someone is going to revoke my Asian ID card because I don't know the answer here. What the hell does a pan-Asian American wedding look like? And wouldn't it help a sister out if the invite gave some clues?

Feel free to weigh in in the comments. If your shy, feel free to email. Frenchie is depending on you!


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

First, I love Vern Yip. I want his houseware line sight unseen. I was sad because, like, Ty "Asshat" Pennington and his donkey had lines, but not Vern. I feel like the universe is a better place now.

Anyhoo: I'd always read where red was worn by "Asian" brides, because red was considered lucky in "Asia" whereas white was considered the color of mourning and death. Now, who the hell knows what anyone means by "Asia" in these situations, but I'd just stay away from either red or white and call it a day. Which is sound advice for Western weddings, anyway, so that works out.

PS picked myself up a shockingly cute puff-sleeved empire waist jersey dress for 19.99 in the Tarzhay today. Just sayin'.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Flavia said...

Well, from the "Asian" weddings I've been to, I can say that they tend to feature clothing changes: every bride I've seen has worn a white gown, but at some point changed into a more traditional outfit, none of which have ever been red (but that might just be the luck of the draw, or the ethnicities in question).

The Taiwanese-American bride changed into an elaborate two-piece gold-and-taupe embroidred ensemble that had been her mother or grandmother's. The Korean-American brides (I've been to two such weddings) changed into han-boks, the pieces of which are usually different colors.

I'm not Asian, but I've been told that even the relatives from the Old Country love the big white dress and expect to see it. And really: even if the bride *were* wearing red at some point, I think Frenchie'd be okay (as long as it's not some chinoiserie number, which would def. be a Bad Idea).

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:13:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Ah, the internets! Information at your fingertips! Thanks Ashley and Flavia--for the good advice. I was thinking much along Ashley's line (red and white bad, if we can depend on color-ology of "Asia." I sort of love Flavia's input too---relatives want to see the big white dress. Hooray, for globalization!

I can't help wondering what would happen if Frenchie DID wear the chinoiserie dress. But I'm gauche like that.

Thanks again, you two!

Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merci! Ok, so it looks like I should avoid all things red and white -- how do you all feel about black? Appropriate for a formal evening wedding? Too boring? Not original? And if I wear black, can I pair it with a really nice silver shoulder wrap (a/c, you know) and some snazzy red shoes? Or do the red shoes put it over the edge into "red" territory?

For the record: Colors of "Asia" remind me of a crazy prof telling me the colors of the "Arabs" were gold and green. She told me a good way to make Arab friends was to wear said colors.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:14:00 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

You know, there's this knitting group called Afghans for Afghans, which makes...well, you can figure it out. But one of the things that they say is that it would be nice if part of your afghan was green, as it is "the beloved color of Islam." So maybe your professor was not so crazy? Or maybe Afghans for Afghans is crazy. It's weird phrasing either way--"the beloved color of Islam"?

I say yes black dress, yes silver shawl, not so much on the red shoes. But you don't know me from Adam, so put exactly as much weight on that as you want.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Just to be contrary, I'd go with the red shoes and not the silver wrap. And I do know Ashley from Adam. :)

Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home