Monday, July 02, 2007

(shudder)

Say what you will about the vast and wonderful benefits of the globalization of cuisine. I know that I certainly benefit from it. Urbania manages to maintain a Korean restaurant, a few decent sushi places, a vast battalion of Italian joints, and two truly fabulous and pricey French bistros.

Despite this, however, I feel empowered to say that Paula Deen, doyenne of Southern cooking on the Food Network, is simply not allowed to feature an episode of "Home Cooking" called Thai for My Guy, in which she runs the viewer through Pad Thai, Tom Yum soup (although she doesn't call it such), and coconut flan. It's just wrong. It's particularly wrong when she explains how "y'all" might procure kaffir lime leaves. It's even more wrong when she demonstrates her ineptitude with chopsticks. Come on, dammit!

Despite the results of my personality test, I suppose it's safe to say that the judging is back.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

As a native Georgian, I'm giving you permission to diss our beloved Miss Deen. She's at her best when frying everything in sight.

Monday, July 02, 2007 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

When she said "Thai," how many syllables did it have? I am never less than amazed by how many foods that woman can find to fry, and how far she can stretch out words that have, like. 2 letters.

("Puh-wut thuh may-o-nayz aw-hun the veh-juh-tu-buls, aynd they-un drawp they-um raht day-own into the ow-yul.)

Monday, July 02, 2007 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Maybe she should have made "Pad Frai" and left it at that?

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

"Pad Frai" made me laugh out loud.

Now you know a measure of my disgust at Meredith Veiera's ineptitude at answering a damn phone on live TV. Stick with what you know, folks (in M's case, I don't know what that might be).

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home