Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Dodgeball



I've been looking at the CNN website practically every 15 minutes today, hoping that they'll call the last two Senate races in MT and VA. It's a feeling that's a bit akin to waiting for the moment on Christmas morning when presents can finally be opened. COUNT FASTER!!

I've been able to do this, of course, because I'm playing hooky from school today. After 9 hours and 45 minutes of working with advisees yesterday--without a lunch break--I've pretty much had it, and if my students' performance in class on Monday was any indication, they can use a break as well. So here's to slacking! Sometimes, what you've done is good enough!

And in honor of the Democrats, who I think have taken up the above as their new slogan, I've been looking for footage of the film Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story on YouTube this morn. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I laugh when I watch this film; it may well be Vince Vaughn's best work (can it, you Swingers fans). But as I watched the various election results roll in this morning, I couldn't help but think of the scene in the film where Rip Torn, playing the legendary dodgeball coach Patches OHoulihan. After days of practice yielding little improvement, the underdog team--the Average Joes--go into their first match, and suddenly start using their skills. And from thence comes one of my favorite lines in the film. Patches, who has a dirty, filthy mouth (which I love), says in celebration: "My sweet dick, it's magic!" Who ever thought that such a rag tag bunch could really pull it off?

So here's to you, Democratic leadership. Dodge, duck, dive, and dodge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home