Monday, August 14, 2006

Where Did I Put My Lace Glove?

Apparently, if you work in the education, you live and die by the academic schedule. Why not? Many of us have spent the larger portion of our lives in school--whether as students, teachers, or both. So, as August winds down to a hazy close, the call goes out: What the hell am I going to wear to class?!

I've seen that both Mel and Dr. Crazy are going to be rockin' it old skool; if you haven't heard by now, the 80's are back, like Diehard, with a vengeance. I too, grew up in the 80's, and am thusly not immune to the call of black jeans, leggings, and tunic tops with belts. Here's the problem--I was short and thick-thighed in high school, and not much has changed now. The very idea of myself in skinny jeans brings to mind the ever-charming inverted triangle image, in which my hips become the widest part of my body. Yikes.

So, I will be reveling in the black-on-black of the season, and channeling much of my energy into using a very steady hand to apply Joan Jett style eyeliner. [If you have not seen the inimicable "What would Joan Jett do?" t-shirts by now, run-don't-walk.]

Thankfully, eyeliner has come a long way since JJ's day. Which is my favorite? Why this one, thanks for asking! In trusty black, but also a deep metallic blue and also a silver, if you're feeling adventurous. So tell me, true believers, does it freak the students out if the professor arrives to her first class looking as if she just finished shooting a Eurythmics video? Is this what one waits for tenure for?

Having said all of this, I will admit to holding out a brief hope that there is some remnant of 80's fashion (other than a Units tube--remember those? It's a belt! And a skirt! and a headband!) that I can still rock. To that end, I'll be meeting my dear friend Frenchie at the largest mall in New Jersey tomorrow. We'll be staying overnight. Just in case we need extra time. You know how it is.

Meet us at the Orange Julius at 3. What are you going to wear?

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

After reading your entries regarding fashion (this one and "Kneel Before Me, Mere Mortals!", I imagine the scene below is an accurate representation of what you consider a scary campfire story.

http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2006/08/13/

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

You know, polyester gets a bad rap. Now if it were matte jersey...

Friday, August 18, 2006 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I've been scared of liquid eyeliner for a while but maybe I'll have to reconsider, if the technology has improved...

Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Mel--it's TOTALLY better (to continue with the 80's theme). Smaller, stiffer brushes make for precision, I think.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home