Sunday, February 17, 2008

Me and the First Law of Motion

Egads, I am inertia girl. I am staying at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. Like a meteor headed toward earth, or a fire lit directly under my ass. I want my own superhero outfit. Of course, it would probably be in the shape of a blob. And my special power? Sitting on the couch.

I cancelled two--count them---TWO classes this week on account of weather. Huzzah! I thought. This will totally give me a chance to catch up on grading! After all, I'm now collecting weekly writing in one class, and a early portfolio and exam in another. This will allow me to get it all back to them next week!

Right. Or, I could sit around and read Buffy fanfiction. All weekend.

In my defense, there were a goodly number of things that got done this weekend (which started Thursday, for the record). Let's make a list, since it makes me feel better about myself, and I like bullet points:
  • workouts: 3
  • movies: 2
  • rooms in house cleaned and vacuumed: 8
  • magazines read: 3
  • songs purchased on iTunes: 9 [Note: I just looked at my list of purchased songs, which, admittedly goes back to 2003. But there are 572 songs on it?!! In 4 years I've spent $572 on iTunes? Sweet fancy Jeezus! As if Apple doesn't already own my soul! Does it make it any better to think that I no longer buy CDs? Surely that ameliorates some of the sting of more than a hundred bucks a year on music? Am I freaking out for nothing? Is this a drop in the bucket compared to other people?]
  • meals cooked: 2
  • trips to grocery store: 1
  • awesomest Valentines Day prezzie bought for husband: 1
  • layers of ice chipped off driveway and sidewalk: 4

You see, when you list it all out like that, it doesn't sound so bad. Now lets make a list of what I didn't do:

  • hours spent on draft of article due in March: .75
  • hours spent grading: 0
  • hours spent working on conference paper in April: .1
  • hours spent obsessing about these three: 4
  • hours spent prepping for class this week: 0

Oh yes, inertia girl sees that the shitstorm is coming. She's aware that it's going to hit her right in the kisser. But if she squints, it looks like it's really...far...off. Clearly, there's time for more chocolate and another story...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

It's totally far off. No, for reals. She said, knitting a hat instead of reading Belinda.

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Well, Jesus, it's Belinda...And at least you're making something! What am I making, aside from cellulite and varicose veins?

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, I'm making those too, my girl. Nothing like a completely sedentary hobby to round out your completely sedentary job.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home