Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Zenyatta Mondatta, MuthaF*uckas

I am now approaching hour 39 of my seemingly-endless headache (having something to do with the previous post? I wonder...)

I'm fighting my way through the pain and exhaustion of this accursed throbbing, however, to say this: if the rumors about the Police reunion are true, I'm throwing a hootenanny. What other band do you know bases a song on a major American novel? [There may be many, but "Don't Stand So Close to Me is the only one I can come up with. There is that metal band that did a version of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" but who counts that?!]

My sad and pathetic concert history is legendary for its bathos; it begins with counting Huey Lewis and the News as my first concert experience. Yes, I was there when they first unleashed "Hip to be Square" upon the unsuspecting public. There was a slight redemption with Echo and the Bunnymen in junior high, but I cancelled that out with a trip to see Guns and Roses with a boy I liked in high school. I really wish I could remember what I wore to that concert...

The tragedies here are twofold (and I'm discounting having seen Axl Rose in person): I was 13 when U2 traveled the Southwest on The Joshua Tree tour. For my money, U2 was never any better, or any cooler than that. Bono may be saving the entire continent of Africa, but I still can't get past "In God's Country." My mother, bless her heart, had to balance parental responsibility for child safety against musical history. Musical history lost. No U2 for me.

The second tragedy: as a young tyke, I was in Honolulu during the last Police concert in the U.S. I had older cousins--they could have taken me, but NOOOO, no one takes a 9 year old to concert--even if it is, arguably, one of the top 5 bands in the history of rock. [Bring it on, haters!]

To conclude: I can't remember the last time I gave a hoot about the Grammys, but come Feb. 11, I'll be parked in front of my tv. And if they DO go on tour? I may have to give in to my adolescent desires for the life of a groupie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

Having read your early concert history, two thoughts come to mind. First, I just saw Huey Lewis this summer. I was standing behind him in line at our general store as he was buying pants for his father. Second, I was just at the edge of completely forgetting my first concert experience - Toto. I think if I had gone another year not needing that factoid, it would have been erased from my memory. I can't remember the opening act. Of course nothing can erase my memories of seeing KISS four times.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

This is a far better experience with Huey Lewis than mine, and also better than those of the people who have seen the film "Short Cuts" in which H.L.'s penis plays a not-insignificant role. let's see if Gene Simmons can top that!

Monday, February 05, 2007 7:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home