Sunday, November 05, 2006

Getting Real

Okay, y'all remember the great laptop case hunt of '06? The one that took place a mere two weeks ago? What, these things don't take precedence in your life the way that they do in mine?!?

All right, just in case you weren't waiting with baited breath to find out what I chose...here's the deal. As beautiful as those AcmeMade cases are, I just can't do it. I wanted to, I valiantly tried to, I put them in the virtual shopping cart many times, but I just can't pay as much for a computer case as I would for a computer program. It's not like its some kind of Marc Jacobs bag, for the love of God! Call me crazy. Or frugal. Yes! Call me frugal--no one ever calls me that.

But here's the problem: the vast majority of cases are just ugly. I'm not down with the idea of sheathing the sleek titanium beauty of my computer in the fashion equivalent of khaki pants.
Dockers.
With pleats.
I can't do it--It's just aesthetically wrong. But if all of the cases either require a Stacy-and-Clinton-intervention or are outrageously-priced, what's a girl to do?

Well, she could go to the local discount store and imagine that this will do...
(For the record, the one that I looked at was less contrasty. It was sort of a grey crocodile printed leather, all over.) Sure, she could delude herself into thinking it would work--until she got home and put the computer in the bag and realized that All Leather=Heavy As A Sack Of Rocks. Much was the weeping and wailing. In the end, however, discovering her tragic error was good, because then she doesn't keep the bag that fails to make her heart sing.

After a long day of crap work in my office (the effects of which should be obvious here: I'm changing from first to third person like there's no tomorrow; either grading makes me schizoid, or it reduces my grammar skillz), I went to return said bag, and then stopped in at, you guessed it, Target, for a tube of mascara and batteries. [Target should start paying me for the press that I give them on this blog. Are you out there, Minnesotan gods of commerce? Holla!] I couldn't help but browse the computer aisle. There, my friends, was the solution I'd been looking for:
Isn't it sleek and utilitarian? Doesn't it just look smart without trying too hard? Aren't I projecting my desires for myself onto this particular bag? Did I mention that it can be procured for a mere $30? I think I'm in love...

Well, this particular search is over for the time being. I hope that this bag and I will live a long and happy life together, traveling over hill and dale, from conference to coffee shop. I suppose it should watch its back, however. As Lee points out in her comment, I'm pretty much always ready to Pimp My Laptop Case. Bag, consider yourself warned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Lovely! Target always comes through. There was an Isaac Mizrahi laptop case I meant to buy last year ...

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:43:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

ooh, Beth, I think it's still around! But maybe only in stores?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home