Monday, October 23, 2006

Checks and Balances

Yesterday was really one of those days, in which a number of crap things happen which then trigger a series of events that seem to balance it all out. I started behind the eight ball this morning, speeding through an over-long reading assignment for my afternoon class (my mistake--too much of a complicated text). Knowing I was running late, I chose an outfit that required NO ironing, and I figured it out in the shower, saving me the 20 minutes of deliberation time that I usually waste. Suddenly, I was ahead! As I pulled on my sweater, however, I found a series of small holes (when they say don't wash cashmere sweaters in the machine, I suppose they mean it. But damn, I do it with my Isaac Mizrahi for Target sweaters all the time, and they're fine. Why is it that the $75 Hayden sweater from Bluefly looks like Swiss cheese?!). I couldn't manage to find a different sweater to match the outfit, so I mended the holes. And then I was behind.

I ran out the door, got to my office, and realized that there was no WAY I was going to get everything I needed done this morning before class, so I may as well answer emails, etc. This means, of course, that I'll have to make horrid excuses to the afternoon students because I'm, yet again, NOT DONE READING their papers. Sigh.

I get to my morning class, where I've radically revamped the syllabus to give the students more time to work on a group project. Five of eighteen students are missing--basically obviating the group assignment on tap for the day. This did give me the perfect excuse to work closely with a couple of students who are crashing and burning, however.

ALL DAY it was like this--give a little, take a little; up, down.

The coup de grace? After a particularly disappointing meeting, I came home and raked leaves in my weedy backyard until it got dark. Yay. But the upside? The Isaac Show is back on the air, with new episodes. I don't want to hear it from you haters--I love him BECAUSE he groped Scarlett Johannsen on the red carpet. It's back on! [And a quick scan of the website shows that they'll be airing the same two episodes, twice a night, for the ENTIRE week. And one of those features Haylie Duff. You see what I'm saying about the up/down thing?]

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I am SO WITH you on Isaac and his groping of Scarlett's Johannsens ... and the pure joy over Isaac returning to the air. Not sure I like the revamped format as much -- I miss Giovanni, Ben and the boys, and his interaction with the audience -- but it's still Isaac. And I'm even wearing Isaac pants today.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

I'm with YOU, Beth, on being bummed about the new format. What was wrong with the old format? I often speculated that IM was a bit peeved with the ways that the ladies swooned over Giovanni--do you think he axed everyone?

Thursday, October 26, 2006 7:23:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

I always wondered about his jealousy over Giovanni ... but Giovanni was dreamy ... and he had espresso! I hope the show evolves back to last year's format at bit, at least sketches and answers. And I want interviews in front of the office so that I can hear more "clap for her!" Isaac's still my fantasy best friend, though.

Friday, October 27, 2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

I assume he'd be the most fun to hang out in a dive bar with.

I'll be crushed if sketches and answers goes away--it was my favorite part. I was ready in the fall to make the trek to New York just to get one of those sketches!!

Sunday, October 29, 2006 2:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home