Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dining Room Blogging

How is it possible that none of you who call yourself my "friends" explained to me the delights and wonders of laptops?! Why, WHY would you hold out on me like that?!! You all have lots of 'splainin' to do!

It has been a bit of a travail, I must say, to get all of the ducks in a row. I know I'm way behind the times on this (see above) but isn't it the case the wireless connectivity is relatively (say the last few years) new? At least in a widescale version? Or is it that it's so old hat by now no one has to explain it to you? I had a long conversation with one of my colleagues on Thursday about the way in which you set up in-home wireless (at which point I acquired all sorts of new vocabulary words. "Router," for instance). "Go to Local Computer Giant and ask them what kind of router you need--and tell them that you have an Apple. They work differently," he says. So, on Friday, Senor Fluff and I pile in the car to go to LCG--a bit of a hike (25 minutes or so). At LCG, the very helpful guy tells me: "well, Apple makes its own router, which will work best with your computer. Unfortunately, we don't have it--go to the Apple Store." Wagons HO! Back in the car. Extended conversation with Apple Store employee (no lip piercing, this one). "What kind of access do you have now? You probably don't need the Apple router. Just call your service and see if they provide wireless." Fluff: "It doesn't have to be Apple compatible?" Employee, with look of disdain and wonder: "It's just a signal--how can it have compatibility issues?"

Back at Fluff HQ, I call and find out, indeed, my ISP DOES provide wireless; better yet, IT'S FREE. Huzzah! All I have to do is unhook my modem and come down and exchange it. Guess where their office is located? Wagons f*cking ho.

All of this is water under the bridge. I am now currently blogging from my dining room--a space that makes me realize how dim and cramped my poor little office is. Here, I have four windows, a HUGE radiator, and a big ol' table on which to stack whatever I need. I'm not sure that this will make the process of mitigating my atrociously-procrastinated reading of student papers any better, but I'll give it a whirl. At least I'm warm and sitting up semi-straight.

The best news of all, of course, is that by avoiding buying the Apple router (thank you, disdainful/incredulous Apple Store Employee), I now have $$ to buy a truly excellent laptop bag. Because, you know, I NEED one. [I can actually justify this, right? You can't just lug these things around unprotected. Or is that just what they tell me so that I can justify buying a bag? Tautology, anyone?]

After a morning of research (remember those papers?--Neither do I.), I came across this one:

Isn't it smart? Doesn't it just call out to gently nestle my dandy new technology? Doesn't it almost cost as much as a new router? Do you like this one better?

This is the problem with new things. They call for their own accessories. Here's to new technologies and their semi-couture trappings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, I have one of those bags! They're AWESOME and I use it ALL the time. Okay, it's not quite as pretty as the ones you show - I bought it used from a friend (which meant I only paid 1/2 price!), and she had bought the plain red one, so the plain red one I have. But I covet the patterns. (Actually, I really covet these bags but with the pocket on the front - because they are close-fitting and you really can't put anything else in the case. Um, unless you buy the next size up, I suppose.... which isn't an option when you buy used from a friend.;-D)

Monday, October 23, 2006 12:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the stripes!!! I LOOOOOVE the stripes!!! That bag is rad!

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

New Kid--thanks for the much-needed advice on USING the bag-I was wondering how they performed. What do you think the chances are that someone would sell me one of the patterned one for half price?

Dr. M--I think you're right about the stripes. The plaid is a bit too buttoned up, right?

Monday, October 23, 2006 8:42:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

How did I KNOW that the laptop was going to become an accessorizable thing?!? Was this an underlying criteria in the shopping for and purchase of said laptop? Did the screen size chose figure into the Bag o' Lap decision?
I can see it now: KFluff on The View during the segment: Pimp My Laptop.

Friday, November 03, 2006 2:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home