Friday, October 31, 2008

Nuggets of Student Wisdom

Oh, this is a list that can go on forever, since I'm reading draft after draft after draft of papers. However, I'll just share two that came up in class this past week:

1) Kfluff: "So what do you make of this description of character? What would it mean to be a 'B+ student of life'? What do you associate with B+'s?"
Student: "Average. A B+ is average."
[sound of jaw hitting floor as many students nod in agreement.]

2) Kfluff: "So what are you finding in the questionnaires you've distributed about that book?"
Student: "Well, everyone loves it. Lots of middle-school girls love it, but I also found a blog by a woman who loves it. And she's a 31 year old middle-aged woman."
[sound of now-bruised jaw hitting floor.]

In other news, however, two of my seminar students did a dramatic reading of the climactic scene from a novel we read for class. The dirty novel. The one I was totally worried about teaching, that three of them are now writing their research papers on. I'm so delighted and charmed by the idea that they're so engaged by the book that they're still thinking about it, and wanting to transmit it to others. And I imagine that it's the first departmental event at which the world "dildo" was used multiple times. Go me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I thought A was average. I mean, C is failing, right? So A must be average.

The middle aged thing is precisely why I regularly refer to my students as infants. ("Ok, infants, take out your anthologies.")

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Sisyphus said...

Uhhh, ok, but spy/assassins aren't average, now are they?

And hooray for dirty novels! Yay! I wish I could teach some right now --- this whole damn "kids" and "rules" thing sucks.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Ah, the infants should meet my hairdresser---the fetus. Who is now my facebook friend. sigh.

Dirty novels do, indeed, rule. Don't let the kids fool you---they're far less interested in the rules when it comes to reading smut.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home