Sunday, December 09, 2007

Suck It, Delayed Gratification

So I know that all of us are in grading jail right now. And I have no doubt that everyone thinks that she is the worst procrastinator. You're reading blogs, you're cleaning your bathroom, you're watching the America's Next Top Model marathon on MTV (and what's up with that, anyway?). Blah blah. I just took the last two days off. Haven't read a single paper. Top that!!

Clearly, this is nothing to brag about. By Tuesday morning, I should have graded: 15 research papers and 14 presentations; 21 portfolios and 21 online research projects and written a final exam. What are the chances, ladies and gentlemen? Nil, say you? I have to agree. I sort of knew when I put this schedule together that I was going to be screwed, but I have so actively screwed myself with my total lack of focus on Friday and Saturday that it's now a dire situation. And it occurs to me that this has been my pattern ALL SEMESTER LONG. I've put off grading and prepping and then, at the last hour, have run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Or, in more realistic terms, I run for two days on no sleep and caffeine. Making me both Princess McGrumpypants and verging on the edge of hysterical hallucinations on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I've never been one to engage in delayed gratification. You know those studies about kids who can wait to eat the candy, and then they grow up and become successful and famous and svelte? Not me. Not even close. Give me that marshmallow and damn the consequences. But at some point, you think the realization of sleep-deprivation and pain would sink in. Or that it would sink in prior to the moment of realizing my screwage.

But no. Apparently I'm going to end this semester like I started it. If anyone wants me, I'll be grading and self-flagellating.

**ETA: Twelve hours, ten papers, two meals. Sucking wind. Totally and completely hosed. Hoisted by my own petard. I'd try to locate another lousy cliche, but you get the picture.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger the Truth Hz said...

What?!? You could've come to the cinema on Saturday if you weren't doing anything!?!? In the meantime, the worst consequence of doing this is getting away with it. I know when next semester rolls around that the world will *not* end when I don't return the papers after 4 weeks and that when I offer to "bring them in" for anyone who wants to pick them up, only 2 students will tell me that they want them. Sweet!

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

I was trying to GRADE while you were at the movies, Yo! That's how self-flagellation works!

Yes, I'm resigned to telling class #2 that they can pick up their portfolios on Thursday if they'd like. My guess is that few will come. Sigh.

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home