Friday, July 18, 2008

Jinx!

As I left my office yesterday afternoon, I said the fateful sentence: "The internet has ended my scholarly activity." Well, sure, because if you surf the web for two hours, it doesn't leave you a whole lot of time to work on your article, now does it?

So, the Fates must have been listening, because as I sat down to work today, the modem died. A quick call to a humorless 'net provider yielded the "emergency visit" of a technician to decide whether the modem or the signal are at fault. The protocol for the emergency visit is this: sit by the phone and wait. They'll come today, but we can't give you a time. Not even a window. They'll call 15 minutes before they come, but if you don't answer, they'll take you off the list.

In the meantime, of course, it's come back on, but since I had this exact same problem last week, I'm gonna let them come. Will it cut out again? Who knows!! All I know is that half of my sources are online, so writing without internet access should be approximately four times as frustrating as it usually is!

In the never-ending saga of the painters and their music, did you know that Depeche Mode has made it onto the soft rock channel? Be still my 80's lovin' heart! I'm drowning it out with The Goldberg Variations, which is weird in two ways:
1) It's kinda pretentious, don't you think? "Oh yes, I've been listening to Bach to drown out the simply dreadful clamor of the workmen's music! Heaven forfend!"
2) It's ironic, as it's essentially a tool to enable my progress on a work about the poppiest of pop culture topics.

There should be 32 of me.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sisyphus said...

Sigh... I am _such_ the 80s new wave fan, so I'm kinda heartbroken when I hear that it has made it onto the nostalgia soft-rock channels. But I am loving your home-improvement saga, so keep filling us in.

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Well, you know, it wasn't "Master and Servant" so I suppose some things are still safe. Regardless, I was equally as shocked to hear The Motels. What gives, man?

There's no end to the home "improvement" saga. More vignettes as they appear, given that they pass the "at least partially snickerable" litmus test.

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home