Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How Can You Talk to an Angel?

That's what I've been asking myself since about 7:30 this morning, when the painter arrived to start work on the exterior of our house. I've also contemplated Sailing Away, whether my neighbors would like to Hit Me With Their Best Shot, for being awakened by this kind of music, and now I'm "enjoying" Whitney Houston's remake of "I'm Every Woman." When did that happen? And more importantly, if Whitney is everywoman, then I gotta go get more drugs and an egomaniacal husband.

Over the past four years of living in our ramshackle fixer-upper, I think I've learned a good deal about different kinds of handydudes---contractors, tile layers, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, and now painters. Apparently what holds this brotherhood together is A) their collective preference for big Ford trucks and B) a devotion to soft rock of the 80's and 90's. [Spirit in the Sky, anyone?]

Is this an occupational hazard? Is it required for the contractor's license? Moreover, in this, the age of the iPod, is it necessary to broadcast it to the universe?! Don't, don't they want one? You know I can't believe it when they say they don't need one? [Cue the switch to the Human League, which I could totally get behind, if it were midnight at the local dive bar on retro night, but it's 8:45 a.m.]

The irony, of course, is that virtually every single one of these dudes has commented on what a quiet neighborhood we live in. Right. UNTIL YOU GOT HERE!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Frenchie Foo said...

The contractors who built our patio had a penchant for country music. "She Thinks my Tractor's Sexy" and some obnoxious Toby Keith song whose title (fortunately) escapes me at the moment were two popular tunes that summer. It was something about if you don't like the politics here you are un-American and get the hell out.

Oh! And there was also some woman's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I heard repeatedly.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Handydudes." That's a classic coinage! I'm so going to borrow that to describe the former surfer/current drummer in a country band who has done a lot of carpentry work at our house. He is such a handydude. But, I have to give him credit: he never plays music while he's working. That would distract from his stories which are endless and usually offensive.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you kidding?! soft rock from the 80s and 90s is fabulous! i'm already singing!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:21:00 AM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Handydudes apparently vary by region! I think I see a coffee table book project for some enterprising young scholar! And apparently, it should come with a soundtrack...sung by JM!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home