Sunday, February 18, 2007

Boy/Girl Blogging

Over at the inestimable Nimue's place, I ran across her reference to the "Gender Genie"--a site that purports to predict the sex of the author of a chunk of text by analyzing the use of certain words. Who's NOT up for that kind of game?

Here's the odd thing: when I fed the genie a post from this here blog, I came out predominantly female; or, as the results put it:
Female Score: 954
Male Score: 712

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!
Just for fun, I fed it a post from the blog that I keep for work purposes. Check this out:
Female Score: 558
Male Score: 1080

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!
So, apparently, when I'm talking about work, I'm a bit more butch then I am here. Actually, I'm more than just a bit butch--I'm twice as male as I am female, compared to my writing here, which is just slightly more female than male. I bet I could extrapolate some theories about the gendered components of different discourses, but you all can guess where I'm going with that.

[And for the record, no one told me that in the new Blogger you could change the color of your text with ease. Thanks a LOT, early adopters!]

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

I tried out Gender Genie with one of my own blog entries and the Genie scored it 1154 to 1023 in favor of a male author.
My question is: why is the a masculine keyword? Same question for "are" and "is"? These are verbs! Ugh, clearly this is something I need more info on and will lose hours of this holiday weekend to this endeavor....

Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:05:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

Oh, this is fun1 For today's blog post, I got:

Words: 157

(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 149
Male Score: 106

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

Monday, February 19, 2007 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Lee--again, I could make some utterly unfounded conjectures. "The"=definite article as opposed to feminine indefinite article "a"? Is/Are="being" verbs. But do chicks use more active verbs?

Beth--what up, girl? Where you been?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

My latest post all about buying yarn and fabric? Male. Apparently Gender Genie does not dismiss the crafting as girly.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home