Saturday, July 17, 2010

Afflicted

Okay, so it's been more than a week since I've posted. So sue me. I've got a really good excuse. Seriously!! Wanna hear it? Here it goes! Let's start with a visual:

That's my arm, and my new favorite patch of leprosy on it. In all of the "I can't do x because I'm afraid to go out in public like this" correspondence that I've sent out this week, I'm oscillating between two different jokes about it.
1) The first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club.
2) If I have to play a Jared Leto role, I would have preferred Jordan Catelano to Harry Goldfarb of Requiem for a Dream (see below):

Sometimes, just for kicks, I throw in a joke about Job, and how I wonder where in Urbania I can find some broken pottery to scrape my sores. Because, folks, that's just the one that's easiest to take pictures of! Oh yes! They're everywhere!! My left leg is the worst, but the right one is quickly catching up, and I've got a few ambitious ones on the right wrist as well.

Did I mention the itching? Because nothing really caps off unsightly, weeping skin craters like intense burning and itching. Yay! Little helps. As per info on the intrawebz, I've been using rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil to help dry these suckers up, but to no avail.

Yesterday, I finally gave in and went to the urgent care, because the bread knife is starting to look better and better. (If I had a belt sander, I'd consider using it at this point.) The nurse who took my vitals proceeded to wipe down all of her instruments with alcohol at the end of my visit. And the doctor? His first sentence to me went like this: "Ms. Fluff? I'm Dr. X. (glances at arms/legs). You'll forgive me if I don't shake hands." Wuss. You think a little pus is going to hurt you?

The diagnosis (aside from "most people can treat poison ivy at home, but you've managed to spread it everywhere"), included "gee, you've really burnt the hell out of your skin," and "tea tree oil is good for some things...like scabies. But that's about it," and "don't scratch."

Two weeks on steroids, witch hazel and caladryl. I am DONE with yard work, folks. Forevah. As god as my witness, I will never pull weeds again!!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sisyphus said...

Yelccch! I hope you get better soon!

(think more on my astroturf suggestion.)

Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

Astroturf it is! And plastic flowers. Any maybe, if I get crazy, some flamingos.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger Frenchie Foo said...

kfluff, you have ALL my sympathy. It is so awful to be afflicted with that stuff. You may recall my bout with the wicked ivy last summer? Eye swollen shut, face unrecognizable? Steroids for two weeks and lots of Benadryl. My two favorite comments were as follows: 1)Chez my in-laws... I had come down the stairs to have coffee with my father-in-law in the early morning. Both my f-i-l and my m-i-l looked at me and said "You need to go to the emergency room... now". and 2) From my loving husband: "Seriously, if I saw you walking down the street I wouldn't have any idea who you are. You look like you've been in a street fight."

I have not pulled a weed since last August.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger kfluff said...

FF! How did I forget that? Probably because I wasn't around to see it! Retroactive sympathy to you. Did you hear the NPR piece on the ways that climate change is making vines (e.g., poison ivy) WORSE and more virulent?

Suck.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home